John / Grigg;

Yes, with a nickname like 'Photo', I will take lots of pictures! And I'll do my best to do a write-up for a tech tip (maybe it'll turn out to be a "Don't try this at home!").

I'm a lot more than 'a few days' away from a running chassis, more like a few years!

The axles I'm using are a Dana 60 (front) from a 1987 K-3500 one-ton truck (was a tow truck) and a Dana 70 (rear) from a 1993 Chev P-3500 cube van. They both have 4.11 gears in them. They are also both dually axles!

Yesterday I picked up a NP 205 transfer case ('76 chev one ton), a hydroboost and master cylinder ('81 chev one-ton) and a power steering unit ('82 chev) for my beast. I was looking for a transfer case from an International pickup as they were remote, mid mounted or divorce mounted (your choice of terminology) separate from the transmission, but was unable to find one. I'm going to try to convert mine to this style. I'm currently looking for the divorce-mount input shaft (to take a yoke) and will have a plate machined to hold a seal in place. Shouldn't be too hard (Yeah, right!).

The Duramax came complete with power steering pump, alternator, air-conditioning compressor, etc. already mounted. The only thing I can see that's missing is the top plastic shroud that says '6.6l Duramax'.

I haven't got a transmission yet, but have been pricing both 5 and 6 speed Allison tranny's. My concern is transmission size - I would like to leave the master cylinder and booster beneath the floor, but I'm not sure if I'll have room along side the Allison.

As far as tires, I'm hoping to find a tall, skinny set of 'Ground Grips' that will be similar to what was available in the late 50's or early 60's. If I have to cruise at 55 or 60, so be it.

I had to laugh when the guy I bought the Duramax from asked me "are you taking it up to 1000 horsepower?". i replied that I had no plans for that yet, but would love to have the ability to do it in the future!

Lane