I took my first trip into town a week or so ago in my COE. I wasnt as happy with my fuel consumption there and back. Im roughly guessing I was running about 6-7 miles to the gallon. Is this be normal???

My valves are adjusted properly, I just gave her a tune up. Close to proper amount of air in the tires. I ran the numbers and never had her over 50 mph, and I figured at 50 with 36" tall tires and a 6.17 rear gear she was turning at about 2800 rpms.

I know shes pushing a lot of air, weighs about 5K pounds, and is running on a 60 year old engine, but I was still guessing Id get closer to 9ish mpg, just thinking of what I get with my 216 in my chevy.

The piston in the carb is adjusted to the middle notch. Would it be worth adjusting it to the lower notch so less fuel is being pushed on acceleration? Or would that just kill my power when stomping on it? Its a 63AW11 Zenith on a 248.

Thanks, Jeff


My 1953 Chevrolet
1947.1 Gallery
1972 C-10 1/2 Ton & 1972 C-30 1 Ton