The original heater toggle switch was a little erratic and just wasn’t smooth when I switched it. I dint want to replace it with on of those rotary heater switches that the vendors are selling, so, I commenced to opening it up and see if I could restore it.
Wasn’t that much of a problem and all that was wrong with the insides was that the grease had dried out, caked up and causing the contacts to be erratic. A good clean up, re-lubrication of the detent and a new rivet and it was back working like new. On the outside the wire wound resistor, which is supposed to be potted with a ceramic coating had lost its coating. The ceramic coil form was loose in the coil so I mixed up some porcelain, which I just happened to have on the shelf, and repotted it. Of course I couldn’t fire the porcelain so after it had dried a good soaking with super glue appears to bind it together just fine for now.
Here is a picture of the reassembled switch and scrolling back a few shows the disassembled switch and potting.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2086740890098611668iVAzNn Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL