I have searched and studied these questions but, have come to the conclusion I need more suggestions. I have a 1954 Chevy with 235. I have ordered and will be installing Patrick's Saginaw 4 speed transmission.
My problem is, I have my floor cut out around the master cylinder to repair the rust damage. I feel now is a great time to update my brakes. I will eventually put disk brakes on the front. (When I have the cash) I have read where there is a conflict with the Saginaw and a dual master cylinder. My questions are:
1. Is there a conflict with the non-booster dual master cylinder and the transmission?
2. Do I have to have a booster to run disk brakes on the front?
3. Could I install a dual master cylinder (non-booster type) now, while keeping the drum brakes with the intention of updating the front to disk brakes with a simple proportioning valve installation to the master cylinder? I realize I will need to re-plumb the system for the dual cylinder.
4. It seems to me on the '54 (no rear transmission mount) you could modify the master cylinder brake bracket and mount it back a ways and have more room for the booster and brake lines. I would extend the actuator. I don't have the transmission in right now to determine clearance issues. Does this make sense?
5. What have guys previously done?
Patrick's recommends running a remote booster with the stock master cylinder. Has anyone seen their setup?
I sure hate to patch this floor right now, it gives me such great access to the master cylinder.
Thanks.