I donno. If all you want is a cheap older style ride, I'd sell the 56 and get a 66 Impala. (Or maybe a 86 Honda.) To me its like Star Wars, once you start pouring nonstock items into a classic, you're on a slippery slope to the dark, er, rod side. :p

The 235 is a very reliable engine. It carried lots of people, very long distances, long before the modern V8. (Chevy only made 6 cylinder engines for about 25 years - 31 - 54.) But it sure won't pull a wheelie (especially not in an all steel and chrome antique). :rolleyes:

I guess its all about why you have a classic car. To me the charm is in how different the ride is from a Hertz rental, and the challenge of keeping machinery going without paying everyone else to fix it. But, I suppose there's room in the world for people who just want the illusion cool of owning an old auto. I mean, isn't that why PT Cruisers were born? :confused:

Bottom line, don't take the easy way out. Join the VCCA. (www.vcca.org) Fix those fenders and either rebuild or locate another 235. (I see one every week on eBayMotors.) Learn to live without spin on oil filters and to ignore impatient v8 wusses in your rear view mirror. smile Don't be boring. wink


Jim