I saw you posted this over at inliners, too and everyone over there has encouraged you to do the six (obviously) and some even think you can do it cheaper. Think about where you are posting this stuff, an inline site and a stovebolt site, you must want to be talked into the 235 wink .

First, if I had your car, and the 235 ran okay, I would just go out and find a good overdrive 3 speed for $200, slap it in and leave it alone. Now...

I have been battling this myself with my 52 coupe. A lot of it depends on how much money you have and where you live. In my case, stovebolts are like machine shop rosetta stones around here. Which is strange cause I live in a rural area, where tractors rule the roads. I can't get anyone to touch my 261 block. Had to beg to get a valve job and unleaded conversion on my 848 done and was refused milling to increase compression other than necessary milling.

I have searched in a 60 mile radius. I believe in doing an engine close to home. No luck. I haven't even found a guy old enough to know what a 261 is, they keep telling me I don't know what I am talking about, my 59 261 is a 235 or a 292. Scary! eek

I had a head crack on my 235 splash oiler, so that was a good reason to get rid of it and go full pressure, I bought a used 235 from a friend that he had just yanked to put in a small block. It now has a strange gonging noise that I think is a piston. I'm going to a 283 and a 4 speed. If I'm gonna butcher the car at least she'll be a period correct car from the early 60s.

I hate to be the naysayer in the group and agree with baldeagle, but Phat must be out to lunch. For the money it costs to hop up a 235, you should get a 350 crate motor. If you have a good 327, use it if you really want some power.

I think a V8 is cheaper. The motor mounts you will need will be $50 for your car, if you hop up your six, you are gonna need dual exhaust, a new manifold, a vavle job, a new manifold, new carbs, lots of tuning, a new ignition, etc. The same stuff you'll need for a V8, but more expensive. If you've got the money and want to be different have at it. For my money, I'll put the 283 in the car and to be different, I'll leave it an orange 283. Just like it was 1965 all over again.

I keep hearing about this street 200 hp 235, but I have yet to see it. Tony, how about you, seen one of those lately?

Before the rest of you jump on me... My 49 pickup parts hauler is keeping the 235 and I vow to get the 261 rebuilt for it at some later date. And the 54 150 handyman wagon with stock powerglide (Oooooh, super rare) is gonna stay inline forever.

Chris