Thanks for all the replies! Josiah, I checked the new throwout bearing against the old one and they look the same. I got it from Jim Carter and they only list the one for that year of truck. Mine has the diaphram clutch.
46 IP: Thanks for the kind words. I like what they've done with the forums here. How're things going with your project?
JIMerit: Yep, I used all the original stuff that came off the 216 except for the new parts. I'm thinking that I should've gone ahead and replaced the pivot ball with a new one.
Today I fiddled around with it some more. I took the nut off the one end of the J-bolt, added a couple of washers and ran the other nut all the way to where the pedal is nearly touching the clutch fork. It seems to work, but I'm still worried about it. Before posting this, I did a search and somebody with a similar problem was told to adjust the pivot ball outward. I assume that meant simply unscrewing it a turn or two. Is that something that I should try?