I guess what wrinkles my shorts about so many companies, is that they have a listing of products and services available and then when you slap your money on the counter, they offer up some weak excuse and wave as you walk empty-handed out the door.
Such is the case with several large engine rebuilding Co. right here in Florida. They list a variety of 235's and a 261 for a reasonable $1799. with new parts, but waffle when you lay your money on the table. I think that's one of the reasons so many guys are ditching their 235/261's and dropping in a SBC crate engine. Aside from the compact size of the SB and that you can pick up all the brackets for your accessories at most any j-yard. I've met numerous AD owners who complained about not being able to keep their "6". I can attest, that public interest lies with the plain-Jane truck with the tweaked "bolt" engine, over the higher quality project truck with the bent 8. I've garnered quite a collection of "People's Choice" awards because of the "real stovebolt engine" and the majority of the SBC truck owners admit they went that way because of the lack of availability of fresh 6 cylinder engines and the additional cost and time factor of having them redone in a local machine shop.
It would be great if someone could identify a specific company who would deliver on their product so that more of the 6's could be retained. I get a "world Class thrill" out of cruising my old truck to the various events and meeting the folks who marvel that they can revisit a time when all you needed was a Chevy truck, a bottle of Tru-aide soda, and the open road to feel the true joy of life!
Dave