There seems to be a good deal of talk about buying "rebuilt" 216/235/261 engines from the commercial engine rebuilders. However, I've yet to hear of anyone who actually ordered a rebuilt and received one. In my quest to find a 235 supplier, I was run around the block a number of times and the final consensus was that I would send (freight) my core to them, they would evaluate it and do the rebuild and freight it back at my expense. My question focused on "what would happen if for instance, my crank was not up to being turned, a head was cracked or the block was beyond rebuilding." Their answers were....no answers..across the board! I interpreted this non-answer, to mean that I would receive a call telling me that my engine wasn't rebuildable and I was out a whole long block. No one offered to put it on a pallet and ship it back even at my expense.
Unless someone can specifically identify a source of a commercial supplier of rebuilt engines I think it's high time to label this "factory rebuilt" possibility at a low price for a 216/236/261, as a "myth" and take a more realistic approach. This would be that you'd better be ready to seek out a willing, qualified local source and work with that person to get your 216/235/261 rebuilt. If you are fortunate enough to have the time, equipment and expertise to evaluate your block, install the necessary replacement components with a reasonable expectation of having a good end result, that would be an option. However, in most cases the average hobbyist will be hard pressed to do an OJT rebuild without some serious issues.
So all of you folks who have purchased a "factory rebuilt 216/235/261" (Jasper, Recon, etc.) with a builders warranty" share your good (or not) fortune with all those folks who are planning to drop in a rebuilt 216/235/261 crate engine! If it's not a "myth" I'll be ready to eat my words!!!!
Dave