Greetings, all. I bought a '57 Chevrolet 6400 grain truck at the beginning of the year and I've been working on beating it back into some sort of safe, reliable, useful condition. The truck runs OK, but the brakes were shot and the maintenance schedule has been ignored for, um, probably decades. Until now, most of the work I've needed to do has been pretty much self explanatory, but I'm to the point now where I could use a little advice with some of the finer points. I recently stumbled across these forums and am very glad I did. Maybe you guys can give me a hand so I can get this 'ole dude back on the road.

Brakes: They were totally hosed. Leaking from all the cylinders and the master, booster, and lines were shot. Master and booster are rebuilt, all steel and rubber lines replaced, front cyls. rebuilt and shoes relined. Now I'm working on the rear. This setup has two wheel cyls. and two adjusters per side.

Two questions: There is some minor corrosion inside the cylinders. No massive pits, but there are some small ones visible. I've honed the snot out of them, but I'll never get it all out. I've already tied up a bundle in this brake job and can't really afford $80 a piece for four new cyls. When rebuilding wheel cyls., is there any percentage of bore damage that is acceptable? I've never rebuilt them before and don't know what I can get away with. I'm trying to walk that fine line between doing enough to get it functional and safe without spending stupid money to get it there. I could live with them weeping a bit over time, but I don't want any gushers. Also, what is the correct adjustment procedure with two adjusters?

Rear axle: This is a two-speed rearend with full floating axles. The rear wheel seals have been leaking and I'm replacing them. I didn't have any trouble getting it apart, but I'm not exactly sure what the procedure is for adjusting the bearings when I reassemble. It has an adjusting nut, a lock ring, and a lock nut. Is it similar to the front? It looks like the outer bearing has spun on the spindle at some point. Was this from misadjustment and is it fatal to either part? No grooving or detectable wear - just a little polished. Not severe damage, but I want to make sure it doesn't continue and get worse!

Also, the gear oil in the rear axle looks like it has been there since '57. Ick. How can I drain it? I don't see a drain plug. Will it drain if I pull out the bottom differential carrier bolt or is there another method?

Lastly, where the heck can I get a shop manual for this thing?!?

Sorry about the length of my post, but I wanted to give as much info as I could. Any and all help and advice is much appreciated!

Last edited by 1herrick1; 12/04/2007 6:59 PM.