I need more heat in my garage. Previously I bought one of those infrared heads for a 20 lb propane bottle that is rated 10,000-15,000 BTU's. That doesn't really cut it and only sort of takes the chill off after running an hour. I am looking at either a small kerosene torpedo type heater or Propane Convection type.
My goals are low cost of fuel, low odor, low noise, fast heat-up and of course low risk of fire & carbon monoxide. Low initial purchase price too. Also I don't want to do anything permanent. 60 F after 20 minutes of run would be acceptable when its 20 F outside.
The Box stores near me carry 2 models of propane convection. One rated 40,000 to 80,000 BTU's for $99 and another rated 75,000 to 200,000 BTU's normally $125, but on sale at one for $99. I think the smaller unit claims to run 11 hours on a 20 lb tank, which are $15 to $20 to refill around here. Of these, I am leaning towards the smaller one. I think I could do a rapid heat up with the 80K and then maintain a temp using less fuel. With the other, I'm concerned I'd be turning it off & on to maintain the right temp.
My garage is only about 18x22 (8 foot or so ceiling) and 2 walls are shared with the house. For example its 37 F outside and about 48 F in the garage currently. Even at colder outside temps, the garage doesn't get below 32 F.
Compared to the above propane heaters, kerosene torpedoes seem expensive. A 55,000 BTU torpedo is $231 at Lowe's. What are the advantages to these? Will it heat faster or have lower fuel costs? What about odor & noise? I was around one of these once many years ago and the noise was horrible. I know the propane units I am looking at will have no noise or odor.
Last edited by 57_StepSide; 11/30/2007 5:20 PM.