Mechainiac,
Well I did some measuring and removed a few rear end covers and here's what I found out. The distance from where I will mount my wheels on the 77 is 63 1/4". The distance on my 49 is 61 5/8". These aren't exact measurements but they are within 1/4". So with the extra width on the 77 rear end is that going to cause me any trouble with my tires? Next thing is I counted the teeth on my 49 rear end. 36 on the crown and 8 on the pinion. So that gives me a 4.5/1 gear ratio. Is that correct? Not exactly what you want for highway gears. I then counted the teeth on the 77. I coudn't rotate the axle cause I couldn't find the keys but I got 36 teeth on the crown and I think 11 or 12 on the pinion. So that would give me either 3.27/1 or 3/1 gears. Much better for the highway driving. So with this given data can I use the rear from my 77 in my 49?
kskt4