Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but is the part circled in the picture below structural or is it a piece that can be removed and discarded? It seems far too flimsy to be a frame support but I don't want to eliminate it if it's going to cause problems.
The reason I ask is that I'm planning to relocate the gas tank to the rear for safety reasons at some point and I think this piece will be in the way. But without the replacement tank here, I don't know for sure. I'm in the process of cleaning up the frame and would like to avoid having to remove this and repaint the area later if I can safely get rid of it now.
(Sorry in advance for posting a pic; it's only about 20K -- tried to make it as small a file as possible.)
Thanks,
Brent
Picture (From Cletis: Even though it's a small picture, my instructions are "no pictures" so I had to change it.)