I remember that Volkswagen book. Wasn't it called "The compleat idiot's guide"? And there were other applications as well. I never actually had one because I knew bugs fairly well when that book came out, but I do recall that I had been in the habit of helping a friend who had no mechanical knowledge of any kind with his buggy. Until, that is, he acquired a copy of that book and soon afterward told me my services would no longer be necessary. I remember feeling a bit left out, and resolved to pick up a copy and see what all the fuss was about.

Okay, I'll admit it. That is a very small one of the regrets I have about unfulfilled ambitions. I don't have a bug, but I do teach from time to time (as do we all, here), and perhaps I'll look 'round for a copy, just so I can inspect the teaching method.

And I'll suggest the same to you, Sarah. I had to show my friend which end of the wrench was for what, and which screwdriver to use, and how. Many parallels can be drawn between early VW's and stovebolts, and it might be a smart move to start poring through old book stores in your area. You'll find that the actual locations of parts are all backwards in the bug, but the parts themselves do the same things the same way, and even look similar.

-Mark


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe