Hi there folks!

I was wondering if any of you mechanics gurus could give some advice to a person with hardly any--no scratch that--basically NO mechanical knowledge at all. My dad made me hold the flashlight occasionally but that's it smile

I went ahead and bought my truck figuring I'd learn as I go, or else have a shop take car of most of it, but after reading through these forums, I'm getting excited about learning the ropes more quickly. Luckily my 53 has the 235 engine, which everyone says is dead easy to work on.

So, does anyone have any advice on books that would cover the basics on the older engines/electrical/transmission etc? I could get 'cars for dummies' or something but really want to leave off learning about stuff that's not in my truck (electronic ignition, fuel injection, blah blah) at least for now.

I just bought a shop manual from ebay for my truck, though I think it might be advanced for me. I need the kindergarten level! I also bought 'restoring your chevy truck' which is great but that doesn't really cover most things I don't understand (what's a distributer cap, what's a carboreator, what does 'wiring harness' mean etc).

One example of my deplorable level of ignorance--I mucked out that shift box thingie to get it unstuck, and now I'm clueless on the kind of new gunk to put back in it. Grease I am assuming you call it. smile I bought a grease gun but dunno which tube of glop to put in. Not only that but I bought a tube of some red stuff and managed to make it explode all over me trying to get it in the gun. Humph. But it is fun having a 'grease gun' of my own.

Appreciate any opinions you all might have.

And have a great weekend, everyone!
-Sarah