I don't know if this will help or not but I'll throw this out there. I am an automotive machinist and I get questions about oil alot, and I have my own questions too. So I called Valvoline's tech line today. I was told that the VR1 racing oils have the zinc needed to keep flat tappet cams happy. They also told me any brands racing oils were safe. I have heard from Bullet Cams that the Rotella may not be safe much longer because of the introduction of converters on the new diesel trucks. If you look at the back of SAE 30 non-detergant oil, it says it is not recomended for most engines newer than 1963. I hope this helps, I'm sure some will disagree and honestly I'm alittle still unsure about what all this means but, this is the results of my reaserch so far. Good luck.
Sean