As was pointed out in the responses to your previous post, it's really up to you to decide what setup you want. There are a myriad of factors to consider from stock to full-blown modified. Personally, I prefer something that visually reflects the original look, with upgrades that make it safe to drive on the modern highway. I would highly suggest you check out the gallery pictures, zero in on a vehicle that actually exists, appeals to your eye, and start your research from there.

I wanted a cruiser that was unique, fits my needs and was most importantly, safe on the highway. I stayed with the later model 235, T5 w/.72 overdrive, 3.42 Camaro diff and a 29" tall rear tire. This combo gives me a cruise speed of 65-70 mph at 2000-2200 rpm. Very easy on the 4 main bearing engine. My goal is 20 mpg!

In all honesty, it would have been easier and cheaper to drop in a SBC w/auto, but I was/am willing to work through the shortcomings of the "stockish" powerplant.

Once again, I'd highly recommend screening the galleries and photos to find the look, then do your homework to determine which setup will work best for you. I hope this helps you with one option, and gets you started on your search for "the perfect truck" (your own).

Dave


Webshot "Tips and tricks" and "Shoebox" Photo Albums

EXPERIENCE is the best teacher...but it gives the test first...and the lesson afterwards.

"What this generation tolerates...the next will embrace"