Here’s today’s question (I did try a search first, but didn’t find this same question): The speedo needle in my ’63 C20 waves constantly. That is, is works like a metronome, wavering in a perfect 10 mile per hour “range.” I believe my speed is the mid-point of the arc. For example, if I think I’m traveling at 50 mph, the needle waves between 45 and 55 mph on the dial. The wave doesn’t get faster or slower with the truck’s speed, nor does the length of the wave change with increases or decreases in actual speed. It is just a nice consistent wavering back and forth in a 10 mph range.
Since it is my daily driver again, I’d like to fix it when the weather warms up.
My questions are:
1) What might be going on?
2) Is this something I can fix? My mechanical skills are only OK. I can fix most things, but only with written instructions – I can’t just diagnose and fix stuff from memory. About the only way I tackle anything mechanical is if it is in my Haynes Manual.
Please type s l o w l y. I’m not too smart about much of anything related to the driveline.
Additional Info (Don't know if it matters): I'm running a 70s (Nova?) 305 Engine with the stock 4 on the floor. Thanks guys!