I'm looking at the url for this thread as I read it in my browsers address bar, it reads:

http://www.stovebolt.com/bboard/cgi-bin//ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=22&t=002614#000021

So without using /html/bboard/cgi-bin/ how would I direct link to this thread?

I thought maybe it was just my engine, but if you use google to search stovebolt.com, you can't get any results from threads, either.

A Google of Stovebolt.com for "VIN Cruncher" brings up two hits.. both in the newsletter section, (june and july) not in the threads.

The fact that the results are from June and Julys newsletter suggest that the page has been crawled by Google at least as recently as the end of June.. so why didn't it pick up any of the dozen or so refrences to the VIN Cruncher in as many threads that have been there longer?

In fact, over a dozen searches for words like "Clutch" and "chevy" result in numerous hits, all in the newsletter or tech tips section, nothing in the fourms.

I really don't know squat about UBB's directory structure or how it's run.. i've actually been contemplating setting up a UBB board just to test different methods of crawling its message board contents without allowing crawl access to /html/bboard/cgi-bin/

Perhaps its simply because the threads can't be read by a spider since registration is required? Other boards set up that way get crawled, but i've not tried it with UBB.


an idea is only stupid if you think about it rationally.