Quote
Originally posted by Nifty 50:
As to the 5 to 6 lug problem, I grew up hearing that '53 car front drums will fit right on the truck spindles. Never tried it, so don't know if it is true. If so, it would be a cheap and easy way to avoid hauling two spares.
Steve O
I don't recall the exact years, but the pre-55 front drums can easily be swapped to the front of a truck at least starting in '41 and through maybe '59.

I put '51 car drums on a '41 pickup once. It took a combination of the car and pickup bearings, and some modifications to get the backing plates to fit. Wasn't a big deal.

Its about the same work to put a disk conversion kit on instead. And the disk brake parts are a lot easier to find these days too. But if you do the disk conversion you really need to convert to dual master and replumb the brakes at the same time.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...