Small town Texas football.

I grew up an Army brat, but went to high school in Iowa Park Texas a for couple of years. We had the number one state football team then in 4A class....Look it up. That was 1970-1971. I was too small to play they told me.

When I came back to Iowa Park I went to work at the White's Auto Store in town. I had a Boss 429 Mustang that I bought from Shaw Motors.(now defunct) I was 18 years old.

I paid cash for that car. It was Grabber Blue with white interior.

I dated Patty Brown in it. She was married, I wasn't. Her husband, Mike, caught us one night behind the grain silos near Buffalo Lake. I whipped him real bad but hated it when it happened cause I felt sorry for him. She was no good.

I met her when when I attended 10th grade at Iowa Park high. Then Dad transferred to Germany where we stayed and I graduated HS. We returned to Iowa Park when I was 18. I had several thousand I had earned and saved while in Germany. So I bought the Stang, went to work, and got reaquanted with Patty one night in that small town parking lot.

All us kids were drinking Coors beer and listening to the radio between burnouts when she pulled up next to my driver's door. I had dreamed about her for two years while I was gone overseas. She was the hottest thang in school and looked even better then. I didn't care if she was married or not. Her husband Mike was just a kid too. He was working two jobs to support her. That gave her time to run around....I didn't care.

Mike, here's to you and all I know you must have gone thru for her. I'm sorry for what I did. And here's to small town Texas football. If you here ain't ever been there, then you wouldn't understand.

If you ever saw the movie "The last Picture Show", they you saw my old stomping grounds.

They filmed me doing a burnout, but edited it out of the movie.....just my luck.

I miss Texas High School football.

Those really were the good old days.


A good friend will bail you outta jail...A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "That was FUN!"

Send us your injured child:http://www.shrinershq.org/hospitals/index.html