Just got this from Juliano's:

Quote
Our 3 pt's are an inertia lock up.They do not lock because of angle of the retractor or from braking. What makes them lock is any sudden motion to the webbing. If you pull them out slow and steady they will unwind smoothly,but if you jerk them they will lock. Once they are buckled you can move freely in your seat until this movement becomes sudden like in a collision.
Makes perfect sense! I don't know much about seatbelts (obviously) but I am sure I've seen factory retractables that would lock because of a piece that moved forward during sudden braking. A bad system, now that I think about it, because it wouldn't help in a side collision. Don't know what kind of vehicle I saw this in, but it was a long time ago and almost certainly from one of the earlier OEM attempts at retractables.

Anyway, thought someone might like to know this information. Makes me feel better about my own options for installation as well as for the owner of the truck in question here. smile

Brent