That is so cool, Wally! I am a wooden boat fan. When I was a kid, my parents owned a marina on a big lake in Quebec. We had a reputation for our wooden boat restorations (mostly Chris-Craft dual cockpit pre-war boats and Peterborough cedar boats). As a Naval Academy midshipman, I raced a wooden off-shore racing sloop (The former "Recluta" of Southern Atlantic racing fame). I still have a plan to build a boat...
I have been off shore (blue water) in wooden boats, metal boats and fibre glass boats since I was 12 (1st trip was in a wood-hulled sloop from Newburyport, Mass to Downeast Maine). NOTHING beats a wood boat!
Anyway, cool story and cool pics. More??
Kevin -- Did a cruise on a nuclear sub. But ... during the Newport-Burmuda '86 race we had a whale (I have no idea what kind of whale) cruise along side us for a bit and then about an hour later do the whole rising up out of the water and crashing down on its side in front of us thing. THAT was cool.