Look on Ebay for a cylinder ridge reamer, prices are all over the place but you will get an idea of what they look like. It's a tool used to cut the ridge off the top of the cylinder if you do not bore the cylinders. The rings wear the cylinder but they also get a slight radius on the them that matches the radius on the now formed ridge. It's possible that new rings can hit this radius and break them, so it's best to cut the ridge off for smooth cylinder. They cut easy with a decent tool, I still have the one my dad used 50 years ago and it still cuts pretty good. Once the ridge is removed, you can hone the cylinders.
When you get ready to clean the block for assembly, ask around and see if you can find a scrubbing pad off a floor buffer. The janitors at work know me and give me the old ones that are about worn out. I cut circles just bigger than the bores and stack them on a threaded rod, usually 3 or 4 circles. Then tighten down the nuts to hold them from spinning and chuck up the rod in a drill. With the block standing on end, I spray lots of Simple-Green as I am running the scrubbier in and out of the bores. I keep going till the foam is white and all the imbedded grit is removed. Work from top down till all cylinders are cleaned, then rise with hot water. Dry it best you can and have a wad of paper towels and WD40 to wipe out the flash rust with. The scrubber pads really shine up the walls and just remove the micro edges left from the hones. These are what I cut up.
LINKJoe