Hello everyone, I have been having an issue with my chevy 235 that I have in my 1950 3100. A couple of years ago I put a 235 in someone gave me. Ever since then I have issue with the starter not engaging the flywheel consistently. I will push the button with my foot and about half the time the starter will spin and not turn the motor over. So I have finally got around to trying to fix it, so I removed the tin cover from the clutch/ flywheel area so I could see the pinion gear and the flywheel. I had an assumption that the pinion gear was not going far enough back to line up with the flywheel. I laid under the truck and looked while my son pushed the button. The pinion gear went back far enough it seemed, but it still didn't turn the flywheel on every attempt. Which is strange because I saw the pinion gear go back, seem to line up with the flywheel and not turn it but still spun. I am not even sure how that is possible. I have a starter that I used to have on a 261 that I tried using on it, but I found out the 261 starter's pinion gear is bigger than the one for the 235 and it grinds the flywheel when I try to start it. I counted the teeth on the 235's starter pinion gear and it has nine. Does anyone know what the issue might be?


Mike