| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,616 Members48,450 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 892 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 892 | FWIW I've found that the exhaust temperature under load once my 261 gets "up on the cam" 2700RPM and up) to be pretty high. I attribute that to early opening exhaust valve. On motorcycle engines I'm familiar with that contributes to more exhaust noise too. On my truck it pretty much burned the guts out of a FlowMaster muffler. The 848 head that came with the 261 from a bondyard in Wis. had valve rotators on it. I used my recently rebuilt head without the rotators but now I wish I'd made the swap. My Ispro pyrometer indicates 1200 to 1350 deg. F under load -- for hours on end. 1951 3800 1-ton"Earning its keep from the get-go"In the DITY Gallery1962 261 (w/cam, Fenton headers, 2 carbs, MSD ign.), SM420 & Brown-Lipe 6231A 3spd aux. trans, stock axles & brakes. Owned since 1971. | | |
| |
| |