I checked out the Miller 180. In addition to the infinite amp settings, things I saw that I don't think the Hobart has include:

1. "Smooth-start" I think you would have to weld with both machines to see if this really mattered. Sounds like some degree of marketing fluff.

2. Wire feed "off". Hobart doesn't have this. If you are setting your gas flow you have to set the wire speed to slowest point and then cut off what runs out, or open the box and open the feeder tension so no wire runs out. That is a nice to have.

3. Hobart has more amp range 25-185 versus Miller 30 to 180. 5 amps isn't that much of a difference, but if you need it, it is there.

4. Same gun and cable. Would be nice if the Miller had 15ft cables for the xtra $$. 10 ft is somewhat limiting.

5. Miller’s exclusive “Tip Saver” short circuit protection--again, hard to tell if this is more marketing than engineering.

All-in-all, pretty comparitive machines, price is pretty close, but enough that you could get your full gas cylinder for the difference.

Upon further review--still think you can't go wrong with either one. I'm happy with my HH187 and have no regrets after looking at the Millermatic.


R-Bo

1959 Apache 1/2 ton Big Window, Short bed Fleetside (under reconstruction)
1966 GMC 305V6 in the family