Originally Posted by John Milliman
Bienvenu Tony! What an interesting bus! We'll want to see more pictures, naturally, as you are able to share.

I'm particularly interested in the mechanical layout of the bus. Is it built on a COE chassis, then? Is the carburetor down draft or updraft? The bolt on hub covers on the front axle tell us that its a 2-ton axle.

I'm in the middle (sort of ...) of a bus "restoration" myself, although mine is slightly newer and not even remotely a Stovebolt. My bus isn't from Quebec, either (but I am smile ...). How badly is your floor rusted? The body looks great.

Again, welcome aboard. We'll be happy have have you here and help you sort out your mechanical issues.

John

quebec

So it seems to be a bit of an anomaly even among Prevost buses of the era. The Prevost Citadin that seems to have been common was a rear engine. This is a front engine, under a doghouse. The driver is right up front even with the center line perpendicular to what I believe is a 235. I got some casting numbers off the head which according to devestechnet matches to the 235 in 1954.

I am only guessing that it is similar to the COE because of the way the pedal linkage and steering gear are located.

It is a downdraft Rochester carb. I am interested to know more about the axles and brakes. I thought it was the 1-1/2T as the rear end looks like the housing for the Eaton H110. I got some casting numbers off of it but haven't been able to make them work anywhere yet. When I had the hub and drum off of the front it looked exactly like the ones shown in this post:

1-1/2 T drum brakes

As far as rust goes, it is in remarkable condition from having sat mostly unprotected on the side of a mountain in the Rockies for the last 15-20 years. We are likely replacing most or all of the floor, but it all feels very solid. The frame and supports for the body are good with only surface rust as far as I can see so far. And the body except the frames of the windows, is aluminum and only has some small patches of corrosion near the bottom.

The really perplexing thing is that is has air. There is a compressor, tanks, air control switch beside the driver. But no air brakes. I am thinking it is the air assisted hydraulic brakes that some of the military trucks used. (And possibly still do??) But I haven't dug too deep into the system yet. Just concentrating on getting a somewhat reliably running engine and having it slowly mobile to move it around the yard a little etc.

Last edited by Gdads51; 08/08/2025 1:15 PM. Reason: fix post link to display correctly

Fernie Fat Tony
1954 Prevost Bus on Chevy Big Bolt chassis, engine and driveline.
A Big Bolt in disguise.
Follow the story in Big Bolts