My workhorse tool set is made by Stanley, that I got from WalMart a few years ago.. they don't sell that kit anymore.. I seem to recall it was just under $100 and is a big 2 gazillion piece set that closes up to the size of a breifcase.
I've done some real crazy [censored] with these tools.. I had a big 3/4 inch bolt that wouldn't come loose, so I dropped a 8 foot steel bar down the wratchet handle and pushed down on the end of the bar.. I gotta be honest, when I heard the 'snap' I thought darn.. that's the end of a good ratchet.. but nope.. it was the bolt breaking loose.
The same set would have cost me several hundred if it said Craftsman on it.. and several hundred more if it said Snap On or MAC on it.. but for a shade tree mechanic style guy, this set has been real reliable and dependable.
My experience is that there are four main tool catagories..
CRAP (KMART BenchTop brand, Big Lots tools,etc)
INTERMEDIATE RANGE (Stanley)
WORKING PROFESSIONAL (Craftsman, Snapon)
JAUGUAR MECHANIC (Mac)
I, as a general rule, try to buy tools in the Intermediate range.. some of the worst junk tools i've ever bought were from those annual traveling 'tool sales' that set up shop at the fairgrounds or in an old empty commercial building for 'one weekend only'.