Dan, that link to classic.com was precisely what I was looking for. Thank you.

There used to be a specialty engine builder working in the back of Autosport Seattle, but he retired. Action Machine is just north of the city limits, but they also don't do teardowns or rebuilds. I was referred to a guy named Don at a local repair shop who "really know his stuff" and specializes in older vehicles. That conversation went something like this:

Me: I need a rebuild of a 1955 GMC inline six.
Don: Shouldn't be a problem, GMC and Chevy are identical.
Me: They're not identical, everything forward of the firewall is different. Longer block casting, bigger radiator.
Don (annoyed at being corrected): Then parts are going to be hard to find.
Me: I have two long blocks, the 248 is in the truck and the 270 is in the back.
Don: Never heard of a 270 inline. Where ya gonna find a new headgasket for that?
Me (stunned that this expert has never heard of the GMC 270): Fel-Pro sells full gasket sets. I have two sitting here beside me.
Don: Are you restoring this truck to stock condition, for car shows and such?
Me: Nope, it's gonna be my wheelchair van.
Don: Then you're gonna want an automatic trans.
Me: Got the Speed Gems kit to make that happen. Adapter plate, flywheel, starter. Haven't purchased the 4L80 yet.
Don: You'll need to replace the rear gears to keep up with traffic.
Me: I had Randy's Ring&Pinion do that in 2001.
Don: I'm gonna decline, it sound like a project that will never be done. Can of worms.
Me: I only want you to rebuild the engine, nothing more.
Don: That's a no from me. Good luck, buddy.

I was left with the impression this "expert" is a scam artist who was looking for ways to make this very expensive. I've spoken to other vintage vehicle owners in the area and most have gone DIY due to the absence of professionals. Some of them sold their vehicles before the prices bottomed out.

The final decision to sell the whole mess came when I realized I can't do basic maintenance from a wheelchair. I can't even see the engine over the top of the fenders, and doing a chassis lube requires assistance to get up off the creeper and back into the chair. While I appreciate the suggestion to seek advice in the PNW bolter forum, I'm no longer looking for a rebuild. Cancer always wins in the end.

Last edited by Hedgehog; 04/22/2025 7:57 PM. Reason: i kan spel gud

1955 First Series GMC 250 1-Ton Panel
In the Gallery
Mr. Hedgehog - Follow the build
If you can't laugh at yourself, I'll laugh at you.