I've got the bits and pieces to build a tow rig from a retired fire truck that was given to me a few years ago. It's an American LaFrance pumper on a 61 GMC pugnose rig, with a 401 V6 and a direct drive Clark 5 speed transmission. I'll be removing the driveshaft mounted fire pump and replacing it with a 3 speed Brownie- - - -under, direct and overdrive in the Brownie, which will give me 15 forward gears and 3 in reverse. I'll remove the fire bed and add a commercial 5th. wheel and a gooseneck hitch. That one should tow anything I can hook up to, and pass anything but a gas station! If the engine doesn't work out well, I've got a couple of 454s stashed away to upgrade the power train, and a 500 cubic inch Cadillac with a Turbo 400.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!