Working in my shop on other things today, noticed my left tail light lens bezel was loose.
Rolled the truck away from the wall a bit to get a better look, the plastic lens was melted. Huh?
Pulled off the bezel off and checked the inside, the 2 element upper bulb (2057) was right against the plastic lens… both the red lens majorly and the clear top lens minorly melted…
I’ll be ordering new tail lights with glass lenses in any case….
My guess without testing it out yet is that whoever did the install (I’m 2nd owner since) wired the larger hotter element to the running light instead of the blinker / brake… since it is right against the lens it cooked it…. I did check to see if it was assembled correctly and it was, will check the wiring next week, less than ideal design I say
I rarely drive at night so it lasted a long time….

Chuck
Attachments
IMG_9884.jpeg (140.32 KB, 237 downloads)
Tail light melt
IMG_9879.jpeg (181.43 KB, 234 downloads)
Tail light 2

Last edited by Hanks custodian; 12/14/2024 12:41 AM.

Hank: 46 Chev 1/2ton shortbed
2023 Miata RF Club