I have an OTC2000 scanner with all of the 1980's cartridges. Most of the consumer-level scanners sold today (that I can afford) will not scan OBD-I . The O2 sensor is not installed. There is no park switch because it is a straight shift. I do not know what his plans were for that. That is the problem. I don't know what he had left to do or his plans.
I have not found if or where the ECM is connected to the speed sensor. I found the cruise control is connected to the speed-out terminal on the Dakota dash controller ( I will probably never use cruise control)
I put it on jack stands and ran it. The scanner showed no speed. The speedometer has not been calibrated yet but when it hit 20MPH the engine shut off. ( I had a timing light in the cab with me and it quit firing) As soon as it dropped below 20MPH the engine started running again. It would do it in all three gears so it is not an RPM issue. 20MPH in 2nd gear is about 2000 RPM.
I will attempt to find the end of the speed sensor wire. If I know Dad it probably has the original connector on it somewhere. He installed A/C so the wiring harness is well hidden under the dash. He did draw a few diagrams so maybe that will help.
It has overdrive. Many decades ago it had an overdrive kick-down switch that would momentarily kill the fire to disengage the overdrive. But that was if you floored it
Thanks again for all the input!
curtis