I purchased a 1955 Suburban a few years ago and was issued a clear title. I had looked on the frame but couldn’t find the VIN stamping. I recently read a post on another forum about the frame stamping and was able to locate my VIN with information from that post. The code for the assembly plant Oakland Ca. is a capital O. On the frame stamping the O looks different than the next digit, a zero. I noticed the O on the VIN tag looks like a zero, and the O on my registration looks like a zero. I searched on-line for vin tags from the Oakland plant, and they all look like zeros where there should be an O, so 000 instead of O00. I have pasted a few examples and attached the pictures here.
My question is this: Does anyone with a vehicle from the Oakland plant have an O on their tag or paperwork? Or were the O’s replaced with 0’s consistently?
The first image in the first picture is my frame stamping. Notice the last digit, a 3, has been hashed out and a 4 placed above it. An example of human error. The next two images are of a matching frame and tag showing the differences between O and 0. The fourth image is a frame stamping with the O. The rest of the images are trucks and cars tags that I found on-line. Either the O and 0 look the same, or an error was made.
Attachments
VinTagsOakland1.jpg (66.97 KB, 63 downloads)
Vin#'s Oakland plant1
VinTagsOakland2.jpg (74.11 KB, 62 downloads)
Vin#'s Oakland plant2


1947.2 Chevy Panel Truck 1-ton
In Project Journals
In the DITY Gallery
1955.2 Chevy Suburban
1955.2 Chevy 6700 Bus/RV