Interesting stuff.

I think the confusion between an "I" and a 1 is why GM sometimes avoided using I in identification numbers, although they were used in 1947-52 AD's to indicate the production month of September which appears right before the actual serial number. They skipped over I when indicating year model, H being 1950 and J being 1951.

LMC catalog has the information for 1953-59 serial numbers (attached below.) I notice it doesn't have some of the prefixes shown on your examples, Walter. They must be for the larger trucks (or panels and 'burbs,) as LMC's data only goes up thru 3600.

[on edit] your examples 1, 2, and 4 in your first picture appear to have an O, which looks a bit fatter than the 0 next to them.
Attachments
IMG_7386.jpg (370.96 KB, 48 downloads)

Last edited by klhansen; 08/28/2024 7:11 PM.

Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.