Wow my first day here and I can already contribute...
As it happens I own an 93 Isuzu NPR that I use as pickup truck. It won't set any land speed records but it does handle anything I've put on the back. At one point I was towing a flat bed trailer with 54 chevy wagon on it plus a full load on the bed. The nice man at the weigh station let me go thru, I was still 130 lbs. under the trucks limit of 14,000#. I towed this from Philly to Northern, NJ. Averaged just a tick over 10 MPG but did have to slow down to 25 MPH up some hills.
I am putting together a '34 1-1/2 ton panel and have considered using an Isuzu diesel. I have run across an adapter kit to allow the use of a 700R4. Most of the NPRs in the bone yard have bad trannys. The engines cost about $2200 for a complete rebuild (cylinder liners, etc.) From everyone I've spoken to, the little diesel is one of the most reliable.
Charlie (in NJ)