Originally posted by Grigg:
don't do a conversion you are not really excited about
That's good advice!
Ripcord I think the gear ratios offer some performance clues. The tires installed stock on the NPR are likely shorter than the originals on your big bolt, meaning the effective difference in ratios might not be what you think.
Short tires and a deep ratio rear make me wonder if the motor needs a lot of leverage to get a load moving.
If so that's not a good thing if you plan to use this truck as a truck. And its even worse if you plan to use it as a hot rod.
Its difficult to say if a modification is a good idea or not without first having a clear understanding of your intended result. How do you want to use the finished truck? How do you want it to perform? I'm sure you have some idea the answer to these questions, but without knowing your answer its difficult for us to give meaningful comment.
The NPR might be perfect for your intended use and you aren't the first one to suggest it as a donor. Off the top of my head I can't think of one I've seen finished, but I don't know if its because no one has tried, if no one has suceeded, or if I just haven't been looking in the right places...