Jerry,

I've never understood why so many people feel the need to 'Improve" the cooling system of antique cars. With a few exceptions, such as flathead Ford V8s, the original engineers knew what they were doing and the radiators, water pumps, and fans are perfectly capable of keeping the engine temperature where it needs to be.

All I ever drive are antique cars and not a single one of them has had any modifications to their cooling systems (except an overflow recovery tank on a couple). All of them have mechanical, engine driven fans - most of them fixed blades - and I've never overheated or suffered from vapor lock.

I put 200+ miles on Ol' Roy this week and spent 1 1/2 hours in bumper to bumper Atlanta traffic on Wednesday afternoon. Average speed was less than 20 mph. The engine never sputtered or coughed and the gauge crept up to about 200 from its normal 180.

Once I got moving at 55mph, the gauge settled back down to its usual 180.

I've actually seen people install electric fans that actually made the engine run hotter because it blocked airflow through the radiator.

If the engine is getting too hot, the problem is probably not going to be fixed by an electric fan.


1950 Chevrolet 3100 (Ol' Roy)

1939 Packard Standard Eight Coupe (The Phantom) | 1956 Cadillac Coupe de Ville (The Bismarck) | 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 coupe |1966 Ford Mustang (Little Red) | 1969 Pontiac GTO (The Dishpit) I 1979 Ford F-100 | 1976 Ford F-150 (Big Red) | 1995 Ford F-150 (Newt)