In my case, I had a bus full of RH5 wheels so if I wanted to keep driving it, I had to buy new wheels. Serviceable 20" wheels kinda don't exist anymore around here, plus the tires are more difficult to find. Yeah, if your current wheels are still serviceable and you can find bias tires for it that you can afford, then it's certainly worth saving some money if you aren't driving it much. Keep in mind however, that fewer and fewer shops are going to know how to work on the old multipiece rims, because everything's been drop center for three decades now. If you're motivated, the Ken-Tool serpent mounting tool is $60 on eBay and I promise it's easier to do a 22.5" wheel with that than it is to bust a split rim. I've done both.

However, at the point where you've presumably spent the hours and money to get your rig on the road, isn't another $900 maybe worth it on a truck you want to hand down to your kids, and would hope they like to drive it? Yes, I can drive bias tires. They work fine and aren't unsafe.. but radials are a big step forward, and pretty much the easiest mod you can do to make your 1960 truck drive like a 1990 truck.

Last edited by Tronman; 01/27/2024 2:18 AM.

1965 C60 school bus | 1967 GMC 6500 school bus