Again, FWIW ... I *do* run bias plys on a truck I routinely run 65-70 mph with. Flat spots are usually gone within a minute or two and I do not get shakes, a death wobble or excessive wander. My truck will do in excess of 70 mph but I don't like going there for several reasons.
Besides ... running out the flat spots to me is part of the charm of owning and driving an *antique* truck. When I desire the modern driving experience, I take the '14 E-350.
Just sayin' ... for the record and for those who, like *me* find the upgrade to wheels capable of handling the radials (plus the radials themselves) to be prohibitively expensive ... Staying with Bias Plys is *not* the end of life as we know it, will *not* result in your death and will not present hazards to life and limb.
Life with bias plys is perfectly enjoyable, manageable and even survivable.
Would *I* like to upgrade to radials on my '49? Heck yes. Are bias plys equal to radials? No. Can you drive them? Heck Yes.
The upgrade to radials, as desirable as it may be, is getting harder to do all the time without resorting to costly and time consuming modifications like endless searches for unicorn wheels like those single piece wheels for the pre-'60 trucks with the 5/10-bolt patterns, changing axles, spindles, etc, etc.
So before those of you who have done this upgrade decades ago, when wheels and other parts were more plentiful than they are today, start sending guys off on fools' errands to search for unicorns, let's all pause, take a deep breath and let a little reality sink in here.
Who wouldn't want to load up the ole dollar gun, set the selector to "Full Auto," aim it at the truck and hold the trigger down? Not all of us can do that.
Replacing old bias plys with new bias plys is *not* the end of life as we know it -- it can be a viable option that provides a perfectly viable driving experience ... as long as one remembers to drive appropriately (as one *should* anyway).
You wanna drive like its a Corvette? Well go get a stinkin' corvette, then.