Hi guys.

Just reaching out to see if you guys can verify that I decoded this engine serial number correctly.

The serial number is KBA400768. Getting on Deve's Tech Network and opening up Tim's casting numbers database, I think I have it figured out.


The head casting # 3836848 seemed pretty straight forward 56-62 235 CID. Initially from the engine serial #, I thought that it was a 216 from a 1952 3100. It is obvious visually that the engine is not a 216.

So I went to the block casting # 3837012. From Tim's list, I believe that it is a 261 CID block from 1957.

What I am looking to verify is: on Tim's list, it indicates under the casting numbers serial # K and nothing further. Am I correct in assuming there is supposed to be a K as the first letter of a 261 truck engine serial number? And if that is correct, what is the BA designation? Flint Michigan plant?

If this is a truck 261, it would have had solid lifters from the factory? I am going to check today. And reading from Tim's site this would be a desirable cam and head combination to do mild carb and exhaust upgrades to?


Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Peggy M; 01/13/2024 4:24 PM. Reason: added more info to the title

Jeff
1964 Chevrolet K10 Fleetside
"A Kid's First Truck"
Follow in the DITY
1951 Chevrolet 3100
Follow his build in the Project Journals
1969 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible | 2020 Chevrolet Silverado | 3500 Duramax | 2021 GMC Sierra Denali
USAF Veteran 1983-1987 | PSP retired 1990- 2012