| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,085 Posts1,056,329 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,291 Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum | | Moderator for Tons o' Fun , Co-Moderator Driveline Forum Joined: Jul 2014 Posts: 1,291 | I didn't need any special tools to rebuild my SM420. I don't have a press. The legs on my puller were too short so I made extensions for it. Used some steel pipe for installing the bearings. Warmed up the bearings with a heat gun and they slipped on easily. Lots of videos on YouTube on disassembly and reassembly. I have a press and gear pullers. Getting the mainshaft assembly out of the case is my sticking point. I've watched many, many Youtube video's and every one I've watched skips that step. I think I'll make my own version of a J2677 "puller" and make it happen. Thanks for the input on heating the bearings, its a good method!
Ron - - Dusty53 1954 Chevy 3604In the Gallery Forum "You can't dance with the Devil and then wonder why you're still in Hell." "They will forget what you've said, and they will forget what you have done but they will never forget the way you made them feel." | | | |
Entire Thread
|
SM420, alternate method to remove mainshaft
| Dusty53 | 01/09/2024 5:21 PM |
Re: SM420, alternate method to remove mainshaft
| pdlightning | 01/09/2024 6:21 PM |
Re: SM420, alternate method to remove mainshaft
| Hotrod Lincoln | 01/09/2024 7:31 PM |
Re: SM420, alternate method to remove mainshaft
| Gord&Fran | 01/09/2024 7:55 PM |
Re: SM420, alternate method to remove mainshaft
| Dusty53 | 01/09/2024 8:39 PM |
Re: SM420, alternate method to remove mainshaft
| Hotrod Lincoln | 01/09/2024 8:51 PM |
Re: SM420, alternate method to remove mainshaft
| BC59 | 01/09/2024 9:12 PM |
Re: SM420, alternate method to remove mainshaft
| Gord&Fran | 01/09/2024 9:13 PM |
Re: SM420, alternate method to remove mainshaft
| klhansen | 01/09/2024 9:14 PM |
Re: SM420, alternate method to remove mainshaft
| Dusty53 | 01/09/2024 10:55 PM | |
| |
| |