Hi guys,
I have a 1949 GMC FC102 with a 228 engine. See attached photos. I purchased this from my brother’s wife several years ago following his passing. He had the original 228 professionally overhauled (new valves, pistons, rings, bearings, etc., and bored .030 over. In addition he had Patrick’s do a cam 264 (3/4)” performance grind. He knew the stovebolt was limited in performance improvements but his goal was to keep the original 228 and as he put it, “make it all it can be”. I have read plenty of articles with Hotrod Lincoln, Justhorsenround, and Carbking and many others on Stovebolt about the mostly cons of multiple carbs and or attempting to boost a stovebolt’s performance.

With all that said, my brother located a 4 barrel intake manifold and a pair of Fenton Headers and installed them and it has been in this configuration since the overhaul, not even a first start or break in run since 2010. I’ve been researching carburetors and need some advise.

1. Should I still pursue a 4 barrel carb? As long as he had gotten this far, my thought is to follow through on a 4 barrel carb and his plan, even if there is little performance improvement. Will it run as good or even better than the stock Zenith carb?

2. I don’t know the brand name of this 4 barrel intake. I can find no markings on it and have no purchase records. He stated in some emails that he got it on ebay from a classic parts store in Texas. Do any of you recognize this intake by chance? Would it be compatible with Fenton Headers and a Holley carb, for example?

3. 2 of the 4 intake holes seam a bit course on the machining about 1/2 way down the barrel. Not horribly so, but obviously not a true, smooth machined bore from top to bottom. May that pose any problems with airflow and gas mixture?

4. Holley’s website requests redline RPM data. Should I report the stock 92hp at 3400 RPM or should I factor in the cam performance grind and the complete overhaul?

5. Would it be wiser to install the stock original intake and carburetor for the break in run, then swap to a 4 barrel?

Sorry for the long post. Thank you all for your input.
Attachments
IMG_1373.jpeg (38.02 KB, 259 downloads)
IMG_1247.jpeg (104.68 KB, 260 downloads)
IMG_1308.jpeg (42.97 KB, 258 downloads)