After my new fuel gauge went bonky, I installed my old fuel gauge that was in my truck when I bought it. I had a decal sheet for the gauges so, I have a nice-looking original fuel gauge. My gas tank was not full, so my gauge read just over half a tank. I learned that it is absolutely necessary to have a dedicated ground to the sender unit. Without it, the old gauge and the new one I had, were not steady, the needles bounced around a little because of the resistance to ground. Once I put a dedicated ground wire on my sending unit the old gauge is steady. I went for a drive today and ended up filling up the gas tank. The needle went to the dot just below the F. The center dot says 1/2, and the third dot is just above the E.
MY question is: Where do most people's gauges run? By my calculations I had 1/4 tank in my truck. The gauge was halfway between the 1/2 and the bottom dot. Which would be 1/4th of a tank, (if the bottom dot is empty) and the top dot is full that would be correct. I put in 12 gallons, and I have a 16-gallon tank. Do your gas gauges stay between the three dots? I don't have any experience with the truck having a gas gauge that works. I have not had it on the road that long and the new gauge quit soon after I started driving it. I just kept a record of my mileage because I could not trust the gauge.
Last edited by lumbersawyer; 11/16/2023 2:42 AM.