Well, just an update. Got the rear section of the frame sandblasted to just behind the cab, cut the ugly welded plates off the frame and ground smooth. Looks a whole lot better and cleaner. Took the springs off, disassembled and blasted clean. Painted and reassembled with new bolts/bushings. Cleaned the axle up real nice as well, just now replacing the gaskets and seals before putting back on truck. Hopefully by this weekend. Used Rustoleum paint on the parts as I will be redoing probably in a few years when I pull the cab.
My goal right now is to get the truck running to drive back and forth to work which is a mile away on a dirt road, gas station couple miles away across highway, so I should be fine.
I want to get a feel of how the truck rides and go from there. If I can find the 248 engine parts, I may just put it back as stock as possible.