Getting ready to start on the rear of the frame as I had planned a while back. Been researching more parts and what to do with the frame. I'd like to blast the frame clean but my homemade blaster is not ready yet as well as limited time to work on it. So I figure I'm going to start by removing the axle, springs and few other things so it'll be easier to work on. May have the blaster ready by then or plain wire wheel cleaning. Have a couple issues, there is a set of helper springs on it. Cannot find anywhere that it was factory and decided I am going to remove them and also take apart the stock springs to rebuild and paint them. Assuming the removal of the helper springs shouldn't affect much of anything? The bump stops are bolted.
There are some welded plates on the frame, wanted to know if I can cut them off to make the frame smooth? Appears to be used for something, nothing wrong with the frame such as cracks. Can I grind them off without having any issues? Last, what is a good primer or paint for covering the bare metal from rust till I actually do the real painting? Photos of the springs and metal onto frame: