I have a 53 6400 and have had the axel out of it. There isn't really much to it. If I can do it, I'm sure almost anyone can. As to the brakes. I have had an awful time with mine, and I suspect most of the problem is in the booster. I can't find any evidence of leaking fluid anywhere, but I can bleed them and think I have everything ok, but gradually I will lose the pedal. I think the problem is in the booster. I don't think I am getting all the air out of it. I just recently went over them again, and this time I used a vaccuum pump at each wheel, and on the two bleeder valves on the booster. I could see a lot of air bubbles when I was working on it.
The shop manual calls for a pressure bleeder to be used on the master cylinder, forcing the fluid and air through the system. I don't have anything like that, and wouldn't know where to get one. It would probably cost more than I would want to pay even if I knew where to buy one. Allen