I’m thinking back to my overall of the carb. I took a lot of time to ensure all passages and orifices were clear and the carb was spotless. But, during assembly the kit contained a gasket the same periphery and footprint as the accelerator pump diaphragm. I installed it below the pump. I did not see one on the old pump when I removed it. Could that have been an issue? Giving too much open area below the accelerator pump?
I made the mistake of installing that extra gasket under the diaphragm. (From what I have read, that gasket is for some obscure engine which allegedly calls for it.)
The installation of that gasket did not cause any issues for my 235 whatsoever. I left it in there until the next time the diaphragm needed replacement.
If I were you, with all of these mysterious fuel delivery issues, I would buy a new gas tank. A Spectrum gas tank is around $200 the last time I bought one. I would pay twice that for one and I can be a cheapskate. Piece of mind is priceless.