I know there is a lot of controversy about the sniper system. I am completely green to it, not a pro at anything, and figured I would chronical my sniper journey good or bad.
Truck is a 1966 C10. I bought a crate 383 to replace the 283.
I began wiring and installing the needed support systems recently. I am positive you could cobble stuff together from different parts houses. For my first time I am going the easier and more expensive route.
1. Fuel system from Holley. Has pre and post filter. Needs pump as close to tank as possible. I put the pre filter right out of the tank and the pump on the frame rail just in front of the cross member the DS goes through. Post filter is all the way to the front of the frame before it turns up to the engine. Feed line is all rubber, Fuel return is in the factory line along the frame. It is rubber from carb to steel, and again from below tank up into a fitting next to sender. My concern about our tanks being vertical did not concern them. May have to manually prime pump?
2. When I went to put fitting into tank I saw the nasty in the tank and bought a new tank. With new tank the return fitting was easy to drill, not so easy to tighten.
3. Sniper dropped on the intake easy enough.
4. O2 sensor will run down the drivers side and into the pipe just after the collector. You can weld or use the supplied clamp connector. Plenty of wire to make this happen.
5. Have the power/ground to the battery. System has a relay for the fuel pump which is wired.
6. They continually reference neg side of the dist. I did not know the tach side was the neg side on the HEI. That is a confusing thing for a guy who always had Fords his whole life. Local part houses want $61 for a single pigtail. Amazon has a dual for 8. Its on the way.
7. Coolant temp is a plug and play like the O2.
8. All that is left is a key 12v while cranking. Can't have a voltage drop. Don't have that yet. Will find it when I put wiring back in the truck.
As of yesterday The sniper is monitoring everything and activating fuel pump. Going to get the fan tied in hopefully this week, but I need to prep things for some color this weekend on a bunch of parts. So far just some language hickups. Otherwise it is rolling along smooth but slow. I will post some pics when I can grab them off my phone.
Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 08/07/2023 11:40 AM.