Hi John,

Congrats on the progress; can't wait to see some pictures of the work.

I agree with the rest of the crew...30 tons to press on the end caps of a U-joint is very excessive. Heck, I've used much less taking old rusty ones off...

Not sure what everyone else does, but I always clean the shaft holes with a round pipe cleaner (like the plumbers use for copper pipe) and then check for any burrs. If any are found I use a small round file to remove the burrs). Then, after a thorough washing and drying I'll spread a thin film of anti-sieze on the shaft holes prior to installing the U-joints. It acts as a lubricant and also makes for easier removal when replacement is required.

Good luck and drop us some pictures!!!


Burgie

1964 Chevy C60 w/ Garwood dump, 327 CID, New Process 540C 5-Speed w/ Chevy 15,000 lb. 2-speed rear axle
1966 Chevy C60 w/ 292 CID, Chevy 4-speed w/ Chevy 15,000 lb. single speed rear axle

[b]Burgie's 1964 Chevy C60 Restoration Site[/b]